Monday, October 13, 2014

Blog Reaction #5 prompt

Your final blog reaction is a two-step process.

The first is to read the pilot survey created by Dean Gayeski and then explain in a blog reaction what you would do differently and why. Pay particular attention to which questions you would keep, which ones you would eliminate, which ones you would alter, which ones you would add, the ordering of the material, the transition statements, and so on.

The second step is to then put those thoughts into action and make those changes in the editable document that will be made available via Google Drive.

Per usual, post your blog reactions as comments.

Thanks.


3 comments:

  1. Bellow are some of my initial thoughts on how to improve Dean Gayeski's survey.

    General comments:

    - I’d begin this survey with a welcome and a thank you since we are asking busy media executives to take time to participate. I feel it’s important to tell them we at Ithaca College are appreciative of them sharing their time and expertise.
    - Looking at this from the perspective of a participant I’d be curious what the purpose of the survey is for, so if possible I’d like to include a brief explanation of how we are using this data [this study will help us better understand the importance of innovation in today’s workplace, etc]
    - This survey lacks transitional statements which divide up the sections.

    Specific Question Revisions:

    - I’d want to know more information about what sector each respondent works in so we can look for patterns in our data. I’d recommend we ask them to choose which of several fields best describes their work:
    o Journalism
    o Video Production
    o Advertising
    o Film/Television
    o Media Buying/Planning
    o Radio
    o Digital Media
    o Other, please indicate ______________________

    - Before moving into the drag and drop section, I’d add some open ended questions about thoughts on innovation in their work to avoid order effects of repeating answers that were already provided.
    - I’d include some questions about obstacles to innovation to better understand the challenges/issues which prevent innovation in their workplace.
    - Name, age, and gender should be last

    Look forward to hear everyone else's thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, Jack, I was surprised by your points on which questions NOT to start with; I feel as though I have been asked several times at the top of a survey/questionnaire, my race, my age and sometimes my income level. I always felt like they used it to disqualify me if they were looking for another demo.
    With that said, if that is a concern we should move those demo yielding questions to the end. I think the open ended question about their job description could be changed into a list/select from question. This is important and should be at the top of the questionnaire, as it is.
    Also missing, is what Diane is hoping to glean from the information an intro, as Erin mentioned, is necessary. I wonder whether the respondents feel they are currently fostering innovation or working in an innovative environment? There is not much about corporate responsibility to innovation, maybe that is by design.
    I think the question where she asked for 2-3 sentences on why innovation is needed now seems leading. I don't know what she was looking for, but it seems like she answers the question for them in the follow up phrase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 5, 6 & 8 - All of these are pretty long lists for prioritizing (I’d imagine anything over 5 is pretty tough). Also, to have three “other” spots makes the comparisons even more difficult. An alternative is to have the individual select three characteristics, rather than rank them.

    5 & 6 - The term “communications innovator” is a pretty vague term, I’m not quite sure what that means and what specifically it applies to. Innovation is something that can be applied to nearly everything and can mean very different things to different people. Some context would be useful.

    #7 - This is a bit of a complex and difficult question. Parameters should be set (like not giving an option for a day or week). Also, as one of the comments noted, this type of structure can be unusual for a lot of entrepreneurs and innovators, as they tend to be unorthodox in their approaches to work. Many activities vary so much on a daily or weekly basis, that this question could be a very difficult one to answer for many.

    #8 I would have liked to see some options about prototyping, testing, immersing with the target audience - and other “pave your own path” options, rather than institutionalized education and industry information.


    I agree with Erin that it would probably be more useful to present specific industry categories and job titles as selections rather than as an open ended response. This would allow us to categorize responses to specific industries or job levels.

    I also agree with Angela and Erin that the demographics should be at the end. Is it important to have their name in this specific survey? I know I would answer questions differently if I knew my name would be attached, especially if I know the interviewer.

    ReplyDelete